Another Mythical Monster chalked off the list, this time it's a Harpy
|Harpy by Julie Guthrie|
Julie Guthrie does it again with another wicked sculpt. The last time I painted a Harpy was 30+ years ago when I painted the one from the Citadel C18 Night Horrors line. Judging from the mini I believe this might have been sculpted by Aly or Trish Morrison.
|Citadel C18 Harpy|
You can tell that things have moved on both technically and aestetically in the last 30 years. This is a much more interesting less cartoony sculpt and doesn't have the classic overblown features or the flattop haircut. In particular I love the inclusion of the half demonic wings which give this mini a sense of the evil rather than just being some half human half chicken monster.
Probably the most famous Harpy story is that of King Phineas of Thrace who was granted the gift of prophecy by Zeus until he gave away the Gods secret plan. Zeus blinded him and then left him alone on an island but tormented him with Harpies who would steal all the banquet food the Gods left him. This is most famously depicted in the movie Jason and the Argonauts (1963) where Phineas is played by the second Doctor Who Patrick Troughton.
Needless to say Jason fights off the Harpies and saves Phineas who then tells them how to pass through the clashing rocks (Symplegedes) further angering the Gods.
- Reaper Bones #1: The Marathon Begins - Where I paint a dozen Giant Rats.
- Reaper Bones #2: Kobolds, Are They Dogs or Dragons? - Where I paint a dozen kobolds.
- Reaper Bones #3: A Carcase of Skeletons - Where I paint a half dozen skeletons.
- Reaper Bones #4: A Shuffle of Zombies - Where I paint five zombies.
- Reaper Bones #5: Introducing Shaina Coppervein, Dwarven Orc Hunter - First PC mini.
- Reaper Bones #6: Mimic, Treasure Chest and How I re-base my Bones - Where I paint furniture.
- Reaper Bones #7: Fire Elemental Meets Novelty Lamp - Where I hack a mini with LEDs.
- Reaper Bones #8: Flaming Sphere LED Tealight Hack - Another mini LED lighting project.
- Reaper Bones #9: Elliwyn Heatherlark, Gnome Bard - Another PC mini.
- Reaper Bones #10: Horace "Action" Jackson - A Baddass disco dancing Motherfucker.
- Reaper Bones #11: Pirate Captain Thorin Stoneheart - A Swashbuckling Philanthropist.
- Reaper Bones #12: Monstrous Menagerie - Clay Golem, Eye Beast, Griffon, Owlbear, Marsh Troll.
- Reaper Bones #13: Giants - Male Storm Giant and Female Cloud Giant.
- Reaper Bones #14: More Monsters! -Ape-X, Female Demon, Two Golems, Oxidation Beast.
- Reaper Bones #15 - The Road Warrior - Mad Max - 50 bones painted at last.
- Reaper Bones #16 - A Patrol of Orcs - 5 orcs out hunting your party.
- Reaper Bones #17- Personalities - Player Characters, NPCs or a villain or two.
- Reaper Bones #18 - Furniture
- Reaper Bones #19 - Townsfolk - 4 resident NPCs
- Reaper Bones #20 - Devil Women - A couple of Hellborn beauties.
- Reaper Bones #21 - Nova Corp & IMEF Soldiers - 15 Sci-Fi Badasses in heavy armour
- Reaper Bones #22 - A Flurry of Familiars - 11 teeny tiny magical friends
- Reaper Bones #23 - Vermin - Beetles, Scorpions and Spiders
- Reaper Bones #24 - Kyra, Iconic Cleric - An Arabian Holy Woman
- Reaper Bones #25 - Ghostly Summons - or a watery mistake?
- Reaper Bones #26 - Translucent Terrors - A Spectre and Night Spectre
- Reaper Bones #27 - Grave Wraith & Banshee - More Spooky Spectres
- Reaper Bones #28 - Medium Fire Elemental - Smoking Ho
- Reaper Bones #29 - Valeros, Iconic Fighter - A warrior on his last legs
- Reaper Bones #30 - Lizardmen / Lizard Folk - They all taste like chiken to me
- Reaper Bones #31 - Snake Kin, Medusa and a 6 Armed Snake Lady - End of Level Boss Ladies
- Reaper Bones #32 - Kord The Destroyer - He'll give Conan a run for his money
- Reaper Bones #33 - Norgol, Irongrave Knight - Evil Head Henchman
- Reaper Bones #34 - Mangu Timur - Another evil warrior.
- Reaper Bones #35 - Ragnaros, Evil Warrior - So hard he has a dragon scale shield
- Reaper Bones #36 - Anirion, Elf Wizard - Trying hard not to stand out in a crowd
- Reaper Bones #37 - Andre Durand, Time Chaser - Nah, it's Hellboy (wink wink)