I've never used one in a game, but now I have one in my arsenal you can bet you're bottom dollar I'll be throwing it at my players.
Mockingbeast (Julie Guthrie SKU: 77048)
|Reaper Bones Mimic (Front)|
|Reaper Bones Mimic (3/4)|
|Reaper Bones Mimic (Back)|
Of course you can't have a mimic without having the treasure chest it's mimicking.
Chest - Crypt of the Vampiress set (Bob Ridolphi SKU: 02990)
|Reaper Bones Treasure Chest and Mimic|
How I Rebase My Bones
|All Purpose Filler and a Craft Knife|
For this you'll need a scalpel or craft knife and some all purpose quick drying wall filler, the sort of thing you use to hide cracks in plasterboard (aka gyprock or rockwall) you should be able to buy some in the discount shop for about £1.
- Superglue your miniature to your chosen base material, for me that's old 2p pieces. As you can see in the photo, the miniature's base stands proud of the new base and we need to hide that cliff edge.
- Dab on small amounts of the filler and use the craft knife to smooth it out in a nice transition from the base edge to the height of the miniature's base.
|Smooth out the filler to transition from the miniature's base |
to the edge of your new base.
- Use the blade of the craft knife (or other implement) to texture the filler to taste, or to extend the existing base style if it had one. I like to give dungeon dweller bases a paved look, which is easy to recreate by gently pressing a blade into the filler before it dries. Wilderness creatures get a mud base which is just dimpled with the end of a paintbrush as the surface is going to be hidden with flock.
|Texturise your base before the filler dries|
Bones ProgressReaper Bones: 245 - Painted: 32
- Reaper Bones #1: The Marathon Begins - Where I paint a dozen Giant Rats
- Reaper Bones #2: Kobolds, Are They Dogs or Dragons? - Where I paint a dozen kobolds.
- Reaper Bones #3: A Carcase of Skeletons - Where I paint a half dozen skeletons
- Reaper Bones #4: A Shuffle of Zombies - Where I paint five zombies.
- Reaper Bones #5: Introducing Shaina Coppervein, Dwarven Orc Hunter - First PC mini