Sunday 27 October 2024

N Gauge Model Railway - Carrom Table Layout - Episode 1

Tony's Model Railway

Documenting my journey into model railways.

Coffe Table Layout (or should I say Carrom Table)

Those who know me in meatspace are aware of my passion for Carrom, the tabletop shuffleboard game played in most parts of the indian subcontinent.  I purchased a table a few years ago and converted into a coffee table.

This is the perfect base for my N gauge Layout and measures 32" square to the outside edge.

Starting with a Starter Set

I was lucky to snipe a Graham Farish 370-025 Tank Loco Starter Set from ebay for less than £80.  This was an absolute bargain and in great condition.  The set includes 8 pieces of settrack scribing a circle with the smallest 9" radius curve.

268 Southern 0-6-0Tank Loco (Graham Farish)

Also in the set came a 0-6-0 Southern Tank loco, 2 wagons and a brake van.  The loco will definitely be getting a paint treatment as it looks really quite plasticky and I think with the application of some black panels and some pin striping it will look much less like a toy.

I did also have a small collection of 3 wagons and a Minitrix 2f 0-6-0 Dock Tank Locomotive 47160 which I found in a charity shop for £3.  I hope to get that loco working again as I seem to have blown it up!!.

Building a Box

All the best layouts are enclosed with beautifully painted backdrops and so I designed my enclosure to be tall on 3 sides with a lower front section enabling easy access to rail locos and rolling stock and to get unfettered views of the layout.   

Carrom Table Model Railway Layout Enclosure

The sides also pull double duty creating a well so that the layout can be removed easily when that all important game of Carrom needs playing.  My design should allow for everything trainset related to move with the layout and also provide easy access to the underside of the layout where the wiring channels will be.

I tried to get some MDF for this project from my local B&Q and Homebase stores.  However, they seem to have stopped selling DIY materials in real world sizes and now appear to only sell Christmas decorations and pillows.  The struggle is real people.

I need the following boards:

  • 1 x 32"x 32" (813mm x 813mm) 
  • 3 x 33" x at least 6" (813mm x 153mm)
  • 1 x 33" x at least 3"(813mm x 76.5mm)

I am designing much of this layout using my go-to 3d modelling software sketchup free and hope that this will be of great assistance when planning out the placement of tracks.

Layout Wishlist

32" square is not exactly a huge space, but I would like to try to get

  • 1 x central small 9" radius loop with some internal shunting space
  • 1 x middle larger 12" radius mainline loop which perhaps goes into a tunnel at the rear of the layout.
  • 1 x outer elevated loop which climbs on the left drops down on the right and reconnects with the mainline at the front of the layout.

The elevated loop ios going to be most challenging as there will need to be a removable section so that any loco's going through the tunnel can be retrieved if they derail.

No comments:

Post a Comment